We develop advanced signal processing technologies based on the exquisite light and hypersound interactions in a nanophotonic circuit through a nonlinear effect known as stimulated Brillouin scattering (SBS).
We subsequently demonstrate unique signal processing capabilities using on-chip Stimulated Brillouin scattering, including RF photonic filters with record-high spectral resolution and tuning range, tunable optical delay lines, and frequency comb processor for optical communications.
Relevant applications for this technology includes interference mitigation and management in modern wireless environment, including modern radio communications (5G), radar, phased array antenna systems, and satellite communications.
- A. Choudhary, M. Pelusi, D. Marpaung T. Inoue, K. Vu, P. Ma, D.-Y. Choi, S. Madden,
S. Namiki, and B.J. Eggleton “On-chip Brillouin purification for frequency comb-based coherent optical communications”, Optics Letters 42, 5074 (2017) [pdf]
- B. Morrison, A. Casas-Bedoya, Y. Liu, A. Zarifi, G. Ren, T. Nguyen, K. Vu, D.Y. Choi, D.
Marpaung, S. J. Madden, A. Mitchell, and B. J. Eggleton “Compact Brillouin devices
through hybrid integration on Silicon”, Optica 4, 847 (2017) [pdf]
- I. Aryanfar, D. Marpaung, A. Choudhary, Y. Liu, K. Vu, D. Y. Choi, P. Ma, S. J. Madden,
and B. J. Eggleton “Chip-based Brillouin RF photonic phase shifter and wideband time delay”, Optics Letters 42, 1313 (2017) [pdf]
- I. Aryanfar, A. Choudhary, S. Shahnia, M. Pagani, Y. Liu, K. Vu, S. J. Madden, B. Luther-Davies, D. Marpaung, and B. J. Eggleton “Signal interference RF photonic bandstop filter”, Optics Express 24, 14995 (2016) [pdf]
- H. Y. Jiang, D. Marpaung, M. Pagani, K. Vhu, D.Y. Choi, S. Madden, L. S. Yan, and B.
J. Eggleton, “Wide-range, high-precision multiple microwave frequency measurement using a chip-based photonic Brillouin filter”, Optica 3, 30 (2016) [pdf]
- A. Choudhary, I. Aryanfar, S. Shahnia, B. Morrison, K. Vu, S. Madden, B. Luther-Davies, D. Marpaung, and B. J. Eggleton, ” Tailoring of the Brillouin gain for on-chip widely tunable and reconfigurable broadband microwave photonic filters”, Optics Letters 41,436 (2016) [pdf]
- D. Marpaung, B. Morrison, M. Pagani, D.-Y. Choi, B. Luther-Davies, S.J. Madden, and B.J. Eggleton, “Low power, chip-based stimulated Brillouin scattering microwave photonic filter with ultrahigh selectivity,” Optica 2, 76 (2015) [pdf]