We explore the exquisite light and sound interactions in nanophotonic circuits through a nonlinear optical effect known as stimulated Brillouin scattering (SBS).
We develop advanced simulation tools to optimize Brillouin scattering in various material platforms including silicon nitride, silicon, and chalcogenide glasses.
We subsequently demonstrate unique signal processing capabilities using on-chip Stimulated Brillouin scattering, including RF photonic filters with record-high spectral resolution and tuning range, tunable optical delay lines, and frequency comb processor for optical communications. Relevant applications for this technology includes interference mitigation and management in modern wireless environment, including modern radio communications (5G/6G), radar, phased array antenna systems, and satellite communications.
- Y. Liu, A. Choudhary, G. Ren, D-Y. Choi, A. Casas-Bedoya, B. Morrison, P. Ma, T.G. Nguyen, A. Mitchell, S.J. Madden ,D. Marpaung, and B.J. Eggleton, “Circulator-free Brillouin photonic planar circuit,” Laser and Photonics Reviews 15(5) (2021).
- Y. Liu , A. Choudhary , G. Ren , K. Vu, B. Morrison , A. Casas-Bedoya , T. G. Nguyen , D.-Y. Choi, P. Ma, A. Mitchell , S. J. Madden, D. Marpaung, and B. J. Eggleton, “Integration of Brillouin and passive circuits for enhanced radio-frequency photonic filtering,” APL Photonics 4, 106103 (2019).
- A. Choudhary, M. Pelusi, D. Marpaung T. Inoue, K. Vu, P. Ma, D.-Y. Choi, S. Madden, S. Namiki, and B.J. Eggleton “On-chip Brillouin purification for frequency comb-based coherent optical communications,” Optics Letters 42, 5074 (2017).
- B. Morrison, A. Casas-Bedoya, Y. Liu, A. Zarifi, G. Ren, T. Nguyen, K. Vu, D.Y. Choi, D.Marpaung, S. J. Madden, A. Mitchell, and B. J. Eggleton “Compact Brillouin devices through hybrid integration on Silicon,” Optica 4, 847 (2017).
- H. Y. Jiang, D. Marpaung, M. Pagani, K. Vhu, D.Y. Choi, S. Madden, L. S. Yan, and B.J. Eggleton, “Wide-range, high-precision multiple microwave frequency measurement using a chip-based photonic Brillouin filter,” Optica 3, 30 (2016).
- D. Marpaung, B. Morrison, M. Pagani, D.-Y. Choi, B. Luther-Davies, S.J. Madden, and B.J. Eggleton, “Low power, chip-based stimulated Brillouin scattering microwave photonic filter with ultrahigh selectivity,” Optica 2, 76 (2015).