1 PhD position and 1 Postdoctoral position in nonlinear phononics
(update October 2019: both positions have been filled)
Duration: 4-year PhD position, 2-year postdoc. position
Application Deadline: July 1, 2019, or until the positions are filled
We have vacancies for a PhD and a postdoctoral researchers candidates on the topic of nonlinear integrated phononics. The positions are parts of the project On-chip Photonic Control of Gigahertz Phonons, the NWO START-UP project of Dr. David Marpaung.
Interested applicants are encouraged to discuss the projects with David.
PhD position in Nanophotonic Brillouin waveguides and circuits
(update December 2018: the position has been filled)
Duration: 48 months
Application Deadline: November 1, 2018
We are looking for excellent candidates for a PhD project on the topic of nonlinear integrated phononic-photonic signal processing in low-loss silicon nitride. The position is a part of the project Light and sound sound-based signal processing in silicon nitride, the NWO Vidi project of Dr. David Marpaung.
The project goal is to develop an advanced signal processing technology based on the exquisite light and hypersound interactions in a silicon nitride-based nanophotonic circuit.
The project will focus on the study, design, and realization of silicon nitride-based optical waveguides and that efficiently guide and interact light and acoustic waves and support efficient stimulated Brillouin scattering (SBS) process. These new class of waveguides will form the basis a programmable Brillouin signal processing circuit with applications ranging from advanced lasers and optical frequency combs, telecommunications to integrated quantum photonics.
In this project, the PhD candidate is expected to study, design, and characterize nonlinear optical devices with enhanced opto-acoustic interactions. They will perform radio frequency and optical experiments to utilize the realized devices for advanced signal processing.
We are looking for a highly motivated PhD candidate with a background in photonics, physics, applied physics, optoelectronics, or closely related areas. In particular, involvement in one or more of the following topics is desired:
- Design, fabrication, or experimental characterization of integrated photonic devices
- Modeling or experiments of nonlinear optical phenomena in particular stimulated Brillouin scattering (SBS)
- Experimental work on microwave photonic and optical communication systems
- Modelling or experimental work on lasers and optical frequency combs
- Study of integrated optomechanical devices
Expertise in FEM-based simulation of photonic elements (for example COMSOL), design and optimization of optical circuit layouts (for example Lumerical, Phoenix Optodesigner) and fabrication of devices by means of relevant semiconductor process techniques will be highly advantageous. English language proficiency is strictly required. Curiosity and strong scientific communication skills are desired. A scientific presentation will be part of the interview process
- A PhD position for four years, full time with a probationary period of one year
- A starting salary of € 2.222,- in the first year and a salary of € 2.840,- in the fourth year gross per month
- Excellent mentorship, a stimulating research environment, and world-class research facilities
- Close collaboration with photonic industries in the Netherlands
- Various professional and personal development programs
- Applicants are encouraged to discuss the projects with Dr. David Marpaung, prior to submitting applications.
Applications should include the following documents:
- a one-page motivation why you want to apply for this position and to join the group
- a detailed CV (resume) with a publication list
- an academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education
- Details and contact of at least two academic referees
- A high TOEFL (> 90 or 100) or IELTS (> 6.5 or 7) score, generally requested