Microwave photonics refers to the generation, processing, distribution, and measurement of microwave signals using photonic components and techniques. Key advantages of microwave photonics are ultra-wide bandwidth and flexible reconfiguration in of optical processing.
We explore the use of low-loss photonic integrated circuits in RF- microwave photonic systems. By harnessing linear and nonlinear optical interactions in these circuits, advanced functionalities including filtering, true-time delay, phase shifting, and pulse shaping have been demonstrated.
- D. Marpaung, J. Yao, and J. Capmany, “Integrated Microwave Photonics,” Nature Photonics 13, 80 (2019).
- G. Liu, O. Daulay, Y, Klaver, R. Botter, Q. Tan, H. Yu, M. Hoekman. E.J. Klein, and D. Marpaung, “Integrated Microwave Photonic Spectral Shaping for Linearization and Spurious-Free Dynamic Range Enhancement,” Journal of Lightwave Technology (2021).
- O. Daulay, G. Liu, and D. Marpaung, “Microwave photonic notch filter with integrated phase-to-intensity modulation transformation and optical carrier suppression,” Optics Letters 46(3), 488-491 (2021).
- G. Liu, O. Daulay, Q. Tan, H. Yu, and D. Marpaung, “Linearized phase modulated microwave photonic link based on integrated ring resonators,” Optics Express 28, 38603-38615 (2020).
- Y. Liu, A. Choudhary, D. Marpaung, and B. J. Eggleton “Gigahertz optical tuning of an on-chip RF photonic delay line,” Optica 4, 418 (2017).
- Y. Liu, A. Choudhary, J. Hotten, B. J. Eggleton, and D. Marpaung, “All-optimized integrated RF photonic notch filter,” Optics Letters 42, no. 22, p. 4631, (2017).
- D. Marpaung, C. Roeloffzen, R. Heideman, A. Leinse, S. Sales and J. Capmany, “Integrated microwave photonics,” Laser and Photonics Reviews, 7, 506, (2013).